What do you think about this setup?

Discussion in 'Chill Out' started by Ex0rz, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gemini_cdm_500 ... rmixer.htm

Is it possible to scratch with that? (It seems so..)
    Is it good for a starting set? I could easily burn music from my computer to CD's and mix them with that :p With a vinyl player it would become much more expensive/harder. That looks pretty normal to me, everything included etc. Am i right?

2. shoebox

shoebox Administrator Staff Member

Scratch? Probably not. It will probably serve all your other needs as someone just learning to mix though.

3. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

OR what do you call that spinning the vinyl/cd?

4. shoebox

Not sure what you are referring to. A "scratch" is the scratching sound you hear when you move the record back and forth, but it's only called scratching if they are letting the audience hear it. If they are doing in their headphones to find a starting point in the record it is called "cueing". Usually people will cue on the "down beat" or the first beat of a phrase in a track. Not many dnb dj's scratch, so if you see someone moving the record back and forth but don't hear the scratching sound then they are cueing the record or maybe even just tapping the record to get it in synch with the other.

That setup that you are looking to buy will definatley let you cue but probably not have a scratch effect; however there are some cdjs out there that will create the scratch sound when you move the jog wheel.

5. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

yes well cueing i mean :p Was bit tired when i wrote that :D So didnt think my words @ all.

6. smackdown

smackdown New Member

dammit serve

FORE!!!!

7. smackdown

smackdown New Member

8. smackdown

smackdown New Member

9. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

Cueing seems pretty hard with PCDJ, is it any easier with a real set? :p Only got the demoversion of pc dejay ^^

10. LordMael

LordMael New Member

Network Engineer
    Personally i never liked the queue systems in any of the virtual dj software. (using pure software that is) i find it much easier to queue up a song when i've got two turntables and a mixer (sorry kids i'm not the beasties, no mic here) b/c i can hear them clearer. Now, i know, there are some people in the forums that use things like traktor w/ FS and love it. More power to you. i've never used it, nor am i gonna shell out the money for FS + FS Records just to play my mp3's on turntables. (or serrato. if you want to get into a whole discussion of which is better, take it to another thread)

-=-=- EDIT -=-=-

As for the hardware you mentioned above, if you're looking to be a dj for weddings / barmitzva's ok. if you're looking to be a dj in a club / etc i would look at better equipment (yes it costs more).

A good place to start is craigslist.com (for used gear)

that's my $0.02 + 2 more ;)

ez

11. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

Well @ first im gonna practise @ home so aint that pretty perfect for it? I think ill never gonna play in clubs :p Maybe in some homeparties//just for my self//friends. Aint that pretty perfect for it? Cheap and includes everything needed (i assume?).

12. shoebox

It's not hard at all.. The trick is to find your cue point, then click the pause button and click the rewind (or forward) once, THEN click the cue button. This will set the cue point permanently, so next time you load the track or click or click play it will start at that point in the track.

Really the only big difference between using software and using real decks is how you cue.

13. shoebox

I think it will work fine for you if you are just starting out..

14. DJdizzle

DJdizzle New Member

hmm

well i got a pioneer and gemini cdj and with my system if i loop them together and use the whell i can get some scratching but only on some certain track but that setup u got there that should be alright for just starting but ya ull prolly want sumthing real or way better for clubs. :smokenbounce: