Getting started as a DJ.

Discussion in 'Chill Out' started by Ex0rz, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

Hello. Im interested in Dj:ing and id like to know what do i need - Equipment? Mixing tapes/vinyls? Etc etc. And how much would a "starter pack" aprox. cost?

What programs do you ppl use to make DnB? How much pracc it needs to make some kind of "musical" DnB?

Thx. Ex0rz

2. shoebox

shoebox Administrator Staff Member

If you want to go the cheap route... Start out djing with software.. somethinglike PCDJ or Traktor would cost you 100-200 bucks, but there are some free ones out there as well. Get a decent 2channel mixer (under $100) so you can learn how to cut and blend. You will be able to download royalty free tunes from various sites on the net (like exegene) and practice with them or go to places like knowlege mag's download site or beatport to download your tunes for .99 to 1.50 each. This will cut costs immensely as vinyl is NOT cheap.

One caveat when it comes to using mixing software: Do NOT rely on the auto beatmatching that's built into the software or you'll never make any progress. Your goal in the end is to eventually move to cdj's or actual vinyl (or maybe even something like final scratch) where you will not have the luxury of using auto sync/beatmatch. Plus nobody respects someone who lets the computer do all the work ;)

3. Ex0rz

Ex0rz New Member

Is the most crucial part using the mixer or the turntables? I tried PCDJ and it looked pretty hard to use ^^ I kinda hate to learn hard things :p

4. stryknyne

stryknyne New Member

commmercial transportation
    i hope that u dont have the common misconception that Djn is goin to be easy...its somthing that consume's u.Ask any dj what there trip with music has been like and youll get some pretty interesting replys..If u decide to go vinyl be prepared to shell out a substantial amout of money..80-90 rekkids wich equal one gig box will cost u up to $1000..Its a very expensive hobbie depending on the mediums that u choose..Do your research first before u throw ur cash at it...good luck :slayer:

5. Spartz

Spartz New Member

Then don't get into DJing. DJing's NOT easy at all.

6. LordMael

LordMael New Member

Network Engineer
    Yea, trust me, i didn't think about the $$ before hand. it is expensive. but, for me, it has been well worth it. :D

7. =kaya=

=kaya= New Member

8. Brian_d

Brian_d New Member

lay about
    :slayer: get some decks starter dirct drive numark pack or something and practice practice practice :slayer:

9. lynne

lynne New Member

I wasn't sure if dj'ing was something I'd like either, so I bought a double Numark CDj, and a cheap Numark mixer, paid £450 for the lot I think.. It does take a lot of practice to manage beatmatching and mixing songs, but after 3 months I think I am starting to get the hang of it, it's a little easier every time! :) I would just say go for it, buy some cheap decks and a mixer, if you enjoy it like I do you can get more expensive stuff later.. which is what I am planning to do:) good luck!

10. nrgetik

nrgetik New Member

my experience as a dj:

when i first started i wasn't sure if i wanted to get serious about it; being as it is an expensive hobby/career. so i started off with software and poked around with it for a few months. shortly after i invested in a mixer and used that with a mixing program. ive done this for a year or something then decided this was fun for me so i invested in the real thing. never looked back.

if you as a dj are un-sure about spending the money on expensive equipment i would think this is a smart road to take

thats my 2 cents, hope it was helpful

11. bakeher

bakeher New Member

first and foremost. Welcome aboard to the mixing world.

As for gear starting, I recommend, well turntables and a mixer.
    Whatever you can get your nitty gritty hands on.

And after that get some records and bam. hahaha.
    Nothing realy much more to say if ya know what i mean bro.

I mean you can bring in the debate about what gear is doper and what not but when your starting who really cares?

If your bringing cost discussion into play or if you maybe wanna switch up gear later on thats something you decide, yeah?

fast forward. Also DJing is not really that hard at all.
    The only really difficult problem I had when I started was beatmatching.

Keep practicing is all I will say.

The only really hard part to DJing is knowing your records. Cuz we all know how annoying it is when you miss your point.

Last of all HAVE FUN!
    Peace and goodluck mate.

12. shoebox

Very true -- and more to say about that.. In time you gain the ability to instantly recognize the phrasing and structure of any tune you come across new or old. To achieve long, smooth mixes you absolutely need to learn what different styles of breaks sound right together.. and also how to place them so that the layering of the beat phrases, themes/chord progressions are in sync., or play off each other -- some people call it phrase matching. Kill switches and EQ are very important as well for any kind of mix...

I was able to make a big improvement by learning to mix and cut old school sounds early on... stuff from like '95-'99. I would play it at a higher than normal BPM which constantly pushed my limits and now mixing the newer stuff (especially neuro and mash-up style mixes) come naturally.

13. DNB MINDED:.

DNB MINDED:. New Member

student part time cook/Dnb dj
    starting as a dj

Yeah :slayer: i started mixin for 3 months ago, in the beginnin it was hard to match the beatrate to each other tracks, but now i gettin the natural feel for it.. For Sure its a expencive hobby but i recon its the best choise i made in a while, this is what i wanted for long time..I enjoy it every day, and after a while you get the feel and start being creative when it comes to mixin...
    So If you like music and know youve got a little stamina and endurance you definitly have to try, its worth it!!
    although i have to say some times it seems like you dont make any progress but instead you are but you just dont knowthest..keep going..

and for the gear i advise to get some computer dj program and a mixer as already told in the reply above, just dont take a mixer with automaticly beatrate count, in this way you will never make any progress as a dj

WAdata :idea: :D

14. monsterproject

monsterproject New Member

just checked out ebay and found this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do u think about it as a beginner gear? recomended?

peace

15. shoebox

You probably won't find anyone recommending behringer mixers or numark turntables, but those turntables are decent and the mixer is probably crappy, but it will do what you need. Behringer's higher end mixers aren't so bad though. I mean, they are good considering the price. I have two of them.

Despite what anyone says..I think if you are just starting, ANYTHING will work. I myself started on a crappy gemini. I didn't even have eq cutoffs then eventually I got bored with it and had to upgrade.

Another good place to find good deals on equipment and records is craigslist.

16. monsterproject

oh well thanks. but there's no problem combine an "Technics SL-1200M3D" with an "TECHNICS SL-1210MK2" for example? (don't need to have 2 of the exact same player for it to work all right, I hope.)

17. alariQue

alariQue New Member

Hi, my first entry here...
    To all of those ppl, who are saying that DJing is hard:
    No it aint. At least for me. It never was. Of course I had to learn, but if you have the courage and the music flows through your veins not just cables, then learning all that mess around is just a side effect.
    I was never nervous behind the plates, I just play my set, enjoy every single beat and if it is sometimes inaccurate, I know why, and it won't happen again.
    Remember!
    Mistakes are allowed, but don't repeat 'em.

I love DJing, its addictive, but my advice is, dont do it if you have to be under pressure, being nervous of any mistake during the set. Dont do it, because the people would feel it. The people would feel yor nervousity. You must loose your muscles, relax man, its FUN you are providing at the party!! Not just work...
    And another thing is: smile!
    You must enjoy the music and thats the motherfuckin point of it all.
    And this post wasnt just for Ex0rZ, but for all of ya "DJ's".
    Turn on the tables can anyone, we must know how to squeeze'em to their maximum. Thats what I wanted to say.
    And I play on Reloops RP-2000 MK3's, 'cos brother dont want to borrow me his Technics... :mad:
    But reloops are enough 4 me anyway :)
    - Smile, enjoy, feel... cya

18. arje

arje New Member

dj'ing

well if you want to start dj'ing, keep in mind many ppl have the wish to dj, buy expensive equipment, try to mix for a year or so and fail, resulting in having to sell their stuff. you should, first of all, find out if you are able to learn stuff like beatmatching and, in my oppinion as important as that, if you are tonedeaf.

be aware of spending shitloads of money for equipment you will not be able to work with. on the other side, don't buy shitty equipment you can not mix with, if you really found out you are willed to learn shit.

arje

19. monsterproject

Searched sum and found this one: [​IMG]

It costs about 740$ and my question is.. is it a good price?

one of them's a 1210 but can tell about the other one, please help.